Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Beggars can't be choosers.

My sister says," beggars can't be choosers" all the time and on a hot day in June I was about to experience it first hand.
So about a year ago I was grocery shopping. I usually get a SOBE drink and drink it on my way home and that day I was super thirsty since it was way hot out.
There is always homeless people standing at the stop light when you leave. So as I started to pull up close to the homeless man I was thinking, I bet he is hot and thirsty. I then looked down at my cold unopened SOBE, I really wanted to open it and the bright orange color was looking very delicious. It then dawned on me to give it to the homeless man.
I start to get closer to him and the light goes green so I roll down my window and handed him my beloved Orange Carrot SOBE. He then looks at me as I am driving away slowly and shouted,"I can't drink this!"
I could not believe it! Here the man is begging for food on a hot day and I gave him my beloved SOBE and he shouts at me,"I can't drink this"???? What? I was so flabbergasted. Anyways that's my crazy homeless guy story.

7 comments:

Jamy said...

BAH-HAHAHA! I CANNOT believe that! Well good for you for sacrificing something so precious to you! Sheesh... You should have turned around and taken it back. Wow... What a good story!

raising4boys said...

I can't believe it either!! I bet you were so mad. But not about to turn around. Maybe he passed it on to someone else :)

Nisha said...

Maybe he was diabetic?

Hanna said...

I have experience that too. I came out of subway (by the wal-mart in orem) and saw a man with a sign that said "will work for food". So i figured I would give him my sandwich, he obviously needed it more than i did, right? wrong.

We went into Wal-mart and when we drove away i noticed the untouched bag from subway, with the sandwich still in it, on the corner. And no sign of the greedy little jerk.

Erika said...

My theory is that most homeless people are homeless because they are too stubborn to accept help from their families and have been such jerks to them that their families may not even try anymore. They're probably just hard headed (and hearted) and picky anyway and that's why they're on the street. So really, passing up a drink or a sandwich is just their personality. No matter how much they need it. I know that some are homeless because of unfortunate circumstances and they really have no one to help, but I think most are just too darn stubborn to accept help. Yet they stand with signs begging for money. Go fig.

Jeana said...

that ungrateful man! see its stories like that, that make me not even want to make the effort, but good for you for being a good samaritan!

Michelle said...

How rude! That was so nice of you, but I would have been SO mad!!