Monday, September 15, 2008

Boring?

I was just telling Danny the other day how everytime I look at other people's blogs I see how they have gone on these amazing vacations, or they go boating all the time, or they go bungee jump, or there are these moms who seem to do all sorts of fun stuff with their kids and the moms have friends with kids their kids age and blah blah blah, and all sorts of other crazy business.
Then you come to our blog and we rarely do things like that. So I started to wonder if we are so boring or what the deal is. I came to these conclusions:

1. We can't afford crazy vacations
2. We don't have a boat (nor could we afford one)
3. We both hate to camp (and allergies make it impossible)
4. We pretty much never get invited to such events
5. I am really a home body and most times I would rather just be home
and
6. I am not good at calling people on the phone and asking if they want to do something fun, which I need to work on. So if you are my friend and I rarely call you it is because I have a weird phone phobia.

So would you say this makes me boring? Boring because we don't seem to do much stuff? Is that why no one calls us to hang out? I am starting to feel sort of bad about it, and more bad that I don't have very many friends for Linus and I don't do all these fun things with him like other moms. Linus could really have lots of play buddies but I am nowhere near as out going as I used to be and then there is the phone phobia thing.

Does anyone have any suggestions? And if anyone in my hood is doing something fun and cheap with your kids will you give me a call I am starting to feel like a hermit. I also appolagize for not calling my friends as much as I should.

12 comments:

Monkeys' Mom said...

Ha, ha! I think that everyone feels like they are boring and don't do anything fun! I mean, you guys took that great trip to Canada! How much fun did that look to me?? What did we do this summer? Um, drove to Idaho? Woopee. See what I mean?

Of course no one is going to blog about how they stayed home and watched tv all weekend (again), they are going to talk about the fun thing they did with their friends or family! So don't judge your everyday life with their once-in-a-while fun adventures. It's like comparing your bad habits to someone's polished talent, or how you look when you roll out of bed to someone who has done themself all up for a special night out. It's just not a valid comparison.

But you do have to put yourself out there if you want to make more things happen. And kids are an easy excuse to get out more - have people over so the kiddos can play or meet up at McDonalds for lunch and let the kiddos play. Then you start talking about movies you want to see (if there would ever be anything worth going to see in the theatres!) or restaurants you want to try, or things you've just been wanting to do and haven't done. Pretty soon everyone is saying that they feel the same way, so you all plan to do it together this weekend. My advice, if you want to hang out with people more and get invited to do stuff (even it it's just hanging out), then call people to come hang out with you. It will come full circle in the end and you'll be on the receiving end soon enough!

And yes, I know what you mean about the phone. I *hate* calling people that I'm not super close with. I just feel stupid on the phone.

Ooo - I just had an awesome idea! You need to have a Rock Band party! That would be way fun! I am contemplating buying a Wii/Xbox just so we can have something fun like that to invite people over to do with us.

Anytime you want to hang with us out here, you are welcome! I just always thought you were busy up there with your friends. :)

Okay, I think my novel is over now! ;) Good luck!

Colleen said...

Can I join your boring club? I'm not a fun mom. I'm not good with crafts and we rarely go anywhere cool. So if you come up with any amazing ideas, let me know! I was just actually thinking I need to sign Elijah up for a class of some kind. Tumbling maybe? We should do it together!

Peter and Katie said...

Kel, I am the same way with the phone. If we ever do things with other people it is peter setting it up. But since we live around the corner from you guys we NEED to get together more. I am doing a mom and baby swim class with Riley in November at the legacy center. you should do it with us. It is for 3 and under. They don't learn how to swim just to be comfortable in the water. We started it now but since he caught pneumonia they are letting us do it in november. Sorry about the cancellation of the play date but i guess it is good since he was more sick then i thought. we will reschedule it for a time when he is better.

Erika said...

i was just thinking that i need friends out here!!! it's hard too when you don't have a car all day. I'm in the same boat. that's why i blog about random stuff like getting $2 in the mail.and why i LOVE comments on my blog.
good luck!!

Kellybean said...

You all have good points and I am glad I am not the only one who feels that way.
Colleen I would love to do a tumbling class with Linus and Elijah.
Katie I am so in on the swim classes, we did it last year and it is tons of fun!

raising4boys said...

I saw the way Sophie's face lit up when she saw you and Linus in church on Sunday!

I don't think you are as boring as you think.

Callie said...

Hey We need to hang out! and I am horrible at the whole phone thing also! I do however want to do something and even though I am poor! I think we should go to the park this week! I get done with work around 3:3o or maybe we could go on saturday, I don't work at all! and even though I am childless I have nieces and Nephew that would love to play with Linus while we chat and get caught up! I will call you today!

Jamy said...

I'm sorry you're so bored! I don't think you're boring at all! We def. need to get together. I don't call and invite anyone during the day because my hubby is sleeping. Stupid night job. But that'll be over on SUNDAY! YAY! And we've GOT to do lots of stuff over the winter so we don't all lose our minds. Does Linus like craft-y stuff? I'll totally call you guys when we do something!

Kellybean said...

I guess I should clarify that I still think that Danny and I have a lot of fun even though we don't do all sorts of crazy stuff like others.
I just wondered if because we don't do any of that stuff if people just thought we were boring. Although I am bored when Danny is not around. Thats all.

Hanna said...

I have had this exact conversation with Cody, several times. And I am also a home body. I love to just watch movies and eat...which may lead to my obesity one day. Any trip I ever go one is because someone else (mainly a family member) plans and/or pays. I have come to realize that I am a mooch...but I don't really ask for it, they just do it.

Is my comment even making sense? Also, I visit my mother in eagle mountain a few times a week to watch certain TV shows. You are more than welcome...haha...there are always brownies.

Grandma Gaye said...

Kelly you and Danny are the cutest parents Your life is anything but boring! I wish my mom read stories in multi voices to me when I was little. Linus must love having you read to him. You are also very crafty and creating and staying home is not boring! Just wait until Linus starts school and you will wish you had those quiet easy going days again! Mom

jg said...

We are pretty boring too, but I love to also have down time with my husband and little girl! Very happy for you to have another little one! Maybe we will see each other at the hospital!