Monday, November 10, 2008

Movie Monday-Whale Rider

This week for movie Monday I chose the film "Whale Rider." I feel like this film was highly overlooked. It is by far one of my all time favorites. The cute girl in it was nominated for an Oscar for this film with good reason. She gives an amazing performance especially considering that she was 12 years old. I love the story in this film, it is so beautiful with a beautiful message.Here is the PLOT OUTLINE ( I grabbed from wiki.):The movie's plot follows the story of Paikea Apirana ("Pai") at the age of 12 who is the only living child in the line of the tribe's chiefly succession because of the death of her twin brother and mother during childbirth. By tradition, the leader should be the first-born son — a direct patrilineal descendant of Paikea, the Whale Rider — he who rode atop a whale from Hawaiki. However, Pai is female and technically cannot inherit the leadership.

Rating: PG so a good film for all.


I hope you all watch it, because it really is a beautiful story.

Also please read post below, thanks!

9 comments:

Nisha said...

Do you own this movie? If so, we want to borrow it :)

Jamy said...

I remember seeing the trailer and being so excited to see it. Then it's just one of those that always slips our mind when we say, 'What movie should we rent?' I admit I didn't read your post because I don't like spoilers going into movies. Glad you loved it though! Now it's fresh in my mind and we'll have to see it!

pappyu said...

(please read this post in The Simpson's nerdy-scientist guy voice)
Not only is it a good movie, but it is probably one of the most "heroically" sound movies to date. In other words, it follows closely historical archetypes of the hero, as well as Joseph Campbell's "monomyth" theory of the hero's journey (ie. separation, initiation, return). Other movies that showcase the hero's journey as defined by the concept of the monomyth are as follows, but are not limited to (and, yes, you might want to use some of these for your Movie Mondays): Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Batman (esp. B atman Begins), Sesame Street Presents: Follow That Bird (Linus'll love it guaranteed), and I think even Pee-Wee's Big Adventure! . . . FERGLAYBE!

Anonymous said...

I was so bored during this movie! I would not toture myself with a repeat. I usually like movies like this but HATED IT!

Kori, Troy and Colby said...

please invite us to your blog :) korkie27@hotmail.com

Kellybean said...

Heidi you also said you didn't finish it either.

pappyu said...

Yes, Kelly, in fact I did enjoy that movie. Danny just didn't like it because he is sexist and can't stand girl power movies . . . well . . . except the movies "Charlie's Angels" and "Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle." Hmm...speaking of...you guys wanna watch those again when Xiaoyu and I get back to Utah?!

melocopter said...

Yeah I liked this one too.

Erika said...

I love that you do movie mondays.