Sunday, November 16, 2008

Movie Monday-Ponette

I am writing this Sunday night but most of you won't read it until Monday, so it is still Movie Monday.

I try to bring you films that are 1. Not too popular or have not been properly recognized or 2. My all time favorites.

So it is with "Ponette" it is in my top 3 favorite films of all time. Many of you may not have heard of it since it is a foreign film. But it did win many many awards at the Venice film Festival including Best actress to the 4 year old Victoire Thivisol, which is very well earned.

I saw this film 2 years after my dad past away and at this point in my life I was having a hard time with it, since I had just got married and was missing my dad. This was just the film I needed at that moment (thanks for the recommend Colleen). The message was such a powerful and beautiful one I bawled my eyes out for nearly 2 hours after it was over. I was not just crying because the film was moving but it was sort of enlightening to me.

I then attempted to make everyone else in my family watch it, but I don't think they got as much out of it as me. I highly recommend this film and more so to those of you who have lost a loved one. So you may expect to see me with a little Ponette someday if I ever have a girl. Here is the synopsis from wiki:

SYNOPSIS: Ponette's mother dies in a car crash, which Ponette herself survives with only a broken arm (she consequently is forced to wear an arm cast). After her mother's death, her father (Xavier Beauvois) leaves Ponette with her Aunt Claire (Claire Nebout), and her cousins Matiaz (Matiaz Bureau Caton) and Delphine (Delphine Schiltz). Ponette becomes increasingly withdrawn, and spends most of her time waiting for her mother to come back. When waiting alone fails, Ponette enlists the help of her school friend Ada (Léopoldine Serre) to help her become a "child of God" to hopefully convince God to return her mother.

Rating: I think it is PG but it could be PG-13 because of the subject matter.


2 comments:

Jamy said...

WOW, I haven't seen this movie in YEARS! Do you have it? If so, I wanna borrow it! I LOVED it!

Colleen said...

I'm so glad you love this movie so much, it is a really beautiful story. I always recommend it to anyone I think will appreciate a great foreign film. :)